Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Thorne Room Collection

















The following pictures are of room boxes, in 1-12th scale, created by master craftsmen for Mrs James Ward Thorne of Chicago USA. The detail and workmanship is exquisite in all the room sets, and I would love to be able to achieve even just a little of the quality of these room sets in my own work! The room boxes are, I believe, available to view at the Art Institute of Chicago. They represent interiors from Europe and America dating between the late 13th century to 1930's. Please enjoy looking at these pictures as much as I have!

6 comments:

  1. When I first saw the Thorne Rooms in person, I immediately hatched a plan for a dollhouse! I also hold them as the highest possible standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see them one day, just have to keep looking at the pictures for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andy. How rational and elegant you are. How barbaric and uncouth I must appear to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er! thanks David, good job I know you!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Great Blog. I had the opportunity to see the Thorne rooms in Chicago last year. They are truly inspiring. I have a couple of books about them too, I may write about those in my blog. Do you care if I link to yours? Let me know. Troy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Troy, thanks for joining my blog, good to hear from you. I would love to see the Thorne rooms myself, I do have one book with a small selection of photos from the collection. I would be very proud if my work ever reached anywhere near the standard of the Thorne room collection!! Feel free to link to my blog.

    regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete